San Francisco climber survived Everest avalanches, remains stuck


Trevino, 51, is worried about his wife, 43-year-old adventurer Siobhan McFeeney, who is at Mount Everest’s partially buried base camp after being helicoptered to relative safety from above.

McFeeney was a day’s climb up from the camp, on a span of ladders aptly named the Golden Gate, when the quake struck Saturday and set off a series of avalanches that killed at least 18 people, including four Americans, trying to summit the world’s tallest peak.

“Siobhan said she just held on for dear life,” Trevino recalled Monday after hearing from her, via satellite phone, and learning the mother of his four children was unhurt but still stuck on the mountain.

The 7.8-magnitude quake has many Bay Area residents looking to Nepal, seeking information on the plight of loved ones who either live there or were traveling in the country.

The poor Himalayan nation remains gripped by bloodshed and uncertainty from the slopes of Everest to the capital of Kathmandu, and rescue efforts are expected to take time.

Aid workers, many still arriving from abroad, continued to dig through the rubble of cities and villages Monday in search of survivors.

[...] we’re worried.

Reports from blog posts and social media detail a picture of ruin at base camp.

Tents, gear and clothing litter the popular staging area, where a wall of snow came thundering down.

Sherpas were reportedly escorting dozens of injured climbers to safety while clearing the bodies of those less fortunate.

Climber Jon Reiter, 50, a home builder in Kenwood, who was also at the base camp when the earthquake hit, survived, his wife reported.

Rescue efforts on the mountain were slowed by cold, wet weather, and it remained unclear when and how the stranded would make their way down — and whether they would be assisted.

Climbers worried that villages and supply depots where they had stocked up during their week-plus trek to base camp, and would need to revisit on the way down, had been leveled and would be without necessary food and gear.

“All these people are dead where we were standing a week ago,” Hanrahan said in a telephone interview, adding that she sort of wished she were still on the mountain, so she could try to help.

Uttam Baral, 38, was scheduled to fly to Kathmandu on Monday night to help his relatives, who survived the quake but couldn’t return home for fear of their brick-and-concrete house falling down.

For now, Baral said, his father is living in the family’s Honda, where he’s wrapped in blankets and breathes with the assistance of an oxygen tank.